Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Let's get Physical!

Anonymous wrote (renamed to Miss Physical) :

Dear Doctor Love,

I have been lurking around your website for some time already but never wanted to participate. I see that you are indeed knowledgable in matters of the heart. You must be a great lover in real life. Your partner must be really lucky.

I have been dating this wonderful man for almost 2 years. We have a lot of things to talk about. Our romance was never boring. Having said that, I do have a nagging doubt.

We have been physically close. We like to hold hands and touch each other. We enjoy the physical closeness. All the hugs and kisses and well.. "exploration", if you know what I mean.

We can't get enough of being close to one another. We like to talk about our body and our pleasures. I think this is perfectly ok as I feel very comfortable and very in love with this man. We are even planning on marriage.

My doubt is that I feel that our relationship is more physical than emotion or less on the soul-mate/best friend level. As a woman, I worry.. what happens if one day, this physical interest and curiosity disappear? We work on different fields. We have different beliefs. We have different interests. The only common thing we have is respect for each other and this physical attraction. Of course, he's really a great guy and I feel I am fortunate to meet someone like him. What if...

Marriage is for life.. and it should not be based on physical attraction alone. And yet.. looking at the way things are going, I do worry about our future.

What are your advice, Doctor?

Dr. Love replied :

Thanks for the compliments Miss Physical. I am also glad there are readers out there who actually enjoy reading my blog ;-)

I am glad that you have found a wonderful guy for yourself. And he's rather physical and I believe a lot of gals out there are going to be envy eh ;-)

Getting physical in a relationship is in fact a healthy thing. Yes, no doubt we will grow old one day, but that does not mean we should stop getting physical as well :-) I think most important is to stay healthy and fit. Don't worry too much about your lover will leave you if you are old and haggard. What is important is we AGED GRACEFULLY with full of CONFIDENCE. Start eating healthy now, do more excercise, and we will naturally becoming YOUNGER! The choice to be fit and pretty is in your hand ;-)

As for your internal needs, you have to analyse if your boyfriend is either Type 1, who is not aware on how to fulfil your emotional needs, or Type 2, he is an emotionless person.

For Type 1, it's much easier to handle. All you need is to train him, tell him when you need support. As long as he is willing to learn and accept your emotions needs, he will be fine. As for Type 2, it's much harder. Usually, it will takes a lot of time and patience. You may lose your patience along your way, but stay true to what you want. Based on my experience, you need to treat him like a professional (or colleague). Talk to him like getting advises from him. He will naturally open up to you. Hopefully, after a period of time, he knows what you need when he gets the hint again :-)

Whatever it is, if your boyfriend truly Love you, even if we grow older, he will still continue to love you. Just make sure you enjoy his companionship and continue to shower each other with love ;-)

12 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 07:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doctor.. this is Miss Physical. What a name :)

I am not sure if you see my point. I wanted to say that our relationship are hanging on the hinge of physical attraction between the two of us. We don't have common interest. We don't do the things we do. Normally, we would just do something just to please the other party, not because we have the interest. You may say that interest and goal can be built over the years.. just like love could be built over the years. However, to me, when the physical magic is gone, we will need common interest and goal to sustain our relationship. If we don't have that, what will happen.

Doctor, I worry I will dump him, not the other way around. Men are physical animals so I am sure his interest in me will last longer. The problem is I don't feel fulfilled. I have a lot of activities which I enjoyed doing which he does not. Sometimes, I spent too much time on these activities and I feel I am neglecting him. I feel guilty, therefore I will make time to be with him. But this should not be the case, Doctor. The ideal situation should be him participating in the same activities that I do, to enjoy the same thing.. so we are connected on an emotional and interest level as well as physical level.

Sigh.. I guess one can't have everything.

Yours,
Miss Physical

 
At 8/10/2005 10:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Ms. Physical, I understand your situation. Do you do things that your bf like? or you just want him to do things that you like?

Try to find out what is his interest. Explain to him sometimes somethings need to be given and to be taken. (Give & Take). Besides the 'exploration' and physical closeness. :P

And sometimes you would like to do things with someone you love but in the other hand he turn out not interest. :)

Have to be patience..ya! :)

 
At 8/10/2005 11:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Miss Physical and Mr Physical has come down from Cloud 9 :D
To have 2 years in Cloud 9 is a very long time. It must be really wonderful eh?

Doktor, how long does a typical couple take before they come down from Cloud 9? Who come down first? The man or the woman?

 
At 8/10/2005 07:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Miss Physical already knows the answer. Relationship built on physical attraction will not last, better end it earlier than later.

 
At 8/10/2005 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Kiasu-Ching said...

Dear Miss Physical,

My apologies for misinterpreting your point earlier. I think what Miss Peace said is true. If you truly love the person, there should be always give and take. If you decide to give up on somebody you love now, how will you know your next boyfriend may give you what you want? (Ringgit commented to me on this earlier)

I think once you made the decision to drop your anchor of your heart into the ocean, both of you will need to work on something that may interest both of you. If you feel guilty about leaving your boyfriend, check with him he feels. You can also go for a short holiday or overseas where only 2 of you can spend together ;-)

Good luck eh :-)

 
At 8/11/2005 01:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Physical, You are right about one can't have everything. Initially I couldn't get use to sharing bed with someone after I got married but I told myself, I cannot be married to the man and not sharing bed with him. I think my mind has adjusted to that and now I could sleep well again at night. So instead of thinking what your boyfriend not providing, may be you can see what are the things he could provide.

 
At 8/11/2005 04:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are the readers coping in Malaysia? Hope the haze isn't as bad as I read in the papers.

 
At 8/11/2005 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's bad, MGA.. very bad..

 
At 8/11/2005 07:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dr Lurve,

I just wondered if you know a good place to meet "potential" candidate?

Esp for a person who doesn't drink, don't like pubs, hate smokey places?

Prefers serene places?

 
At 8/11/2005 10:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doctor Love,

A good friend of mine has not dated anyone since his last relationship. His found out the girl just wanted the green card and not him. I could understand how hurt he was at that time but it has been 6-7 years now and yet he still could not get out from the past.

How should I help him?

 
At 8/12/2005 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Physical, i think i can see your point. I used to have same concern like yours. And, i think for girls we alwiz worry abt this kinda thing but guys dun. Somehow, i think it's relevant to worry abt this thing.

Can u try to read the book - man from mars, woman from venus - on a date. The book actually explains 5 stages that we shd go through before we get to physical attractions. And, also how to identify if this man is yr soulmate. I find it helpful, not sure if it's stil helpful for you after 2 years of relationship.. U may try !!

 
At 8/13/2005 12:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should not depend on the book to find your soulmate. If you try to find your soulmate without even going into the dating phase, you may never even get to date! And if you are already dating, don't tell me you are going to dumb him/her if the partner is not your soulmate!

The book is probably geared towards the Westerner who can just divorce and remarry.. or can marry at the age of 50. So they can still find their soulmates.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home